Gloria K. Fiero
Go to and choose five (5) works of art with a theme reflected in the materials studied.
*The following are materials studied* (Make sure to refer, quote and cite your textbook on each work of art)
Gloria K. Fiero. 6th Edition. The Humanistic Tradition. Volume I: Prehistory to the Early Modern World. McGraw-Hill Higher Education.
"Patterns of Medieval Life ca. 500–1300"…… Chapter 11
"Christianity and the Medieval Mind ca. 1000–1300"…. Chapter 12
"The Medieval Synthesis in the Arts ca. 1000–1300"…..Chapter 13
"The World Beyond the West: India, China, and Japan ca. 500–1300"….. Chapter 14
"Adversity and Challenge: The Fourteenth-Century Transition ca. 1300–1400"……Chapter 15
"Classical Humanism in the Age of the Renaissance ca. 1300–1600"…… Chapter 16
"Renaissance Artists: Disciples of Nature, Masters of Invention ca. 1400–1600"…. Chapter 17
"Cross-Cultural Encounters: Asia, Africa, and the Americas ca. 1300–1600"….. Chapter 18
"Protest and Reform: The Waning of the Old Order ca. 1400–1600"…… Chapter 19
-Study the works of art and compose short essays for each in two parts. Be sure the subject matter has been covered in class. (Refer to the list above)
PART I: (NO less than 75 words)
Describe the subject of the artwork.
This will include:
1. artist’s name
2.title of work
3.museum collection number and gallery location
4.the date of piece
as well as:
1.the medium (oil paint, watercolor, size, shape, color composition, bronze, marble, etc)
2.the scene that artwork depicts (be specific: your description must be full enough to convey the sense of the artwork to a reader who must form an image with the mind’s eye).
PART 2: (NO less than 100 words)
1.Explain how the artist has adapted this theme. Discuss, for example, how the artist has created the setting/mood/atmosphere to tell the story, and whether the artist has stayed closely to the historical/cultural/mythological/religious event or has chosen to retell it with a different emphasis from what you have read.
2. Consider also how the style of the artwork influences the content. For example, if the piece is a baroque painting, or an art deco sculpture, what does that particular style impart to the story or characters depicted?
3. Locate (and cite) the event in your textbook. ***Very important!!!****
1. Do not use pieces that involve the same theme more than once.
2. Devote at least one page to each piece of art, i.e. do not describe two pieces on one page.
3. Please follow the template below for each work of art. (one page per work of art)
Last Updated on