Freedom in society
- Your Thesis statement should take a position on the arguable topic.
- Your supporting ideas will, no doubt, come from observations, but in this essay, avoid using “I” and other first person pronouns. Instead, use third person pronouns to discuss freedom among Americans.
Use at least two pieces of outside evidence: from the novel, Dari’s video (above), or any other texts from this course.
- In referring to Dari’s video, you may want to identify American freedoms as “external” or “internal.”
- You can use information about the characters in our novel or people from your own life.
- You may also want to use the Merriam-Webster definition of freedom(Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. in your essay.
- produce a well-organized, well-written argument that takes a position on an issue,
- use textual evidence, rhetorical appeals including logic, and refutation as support, and
- cite sources within the body of the essay and list the sources on a works cited page.
Organization: Write an argumentative essay with these characteristics:
- The Thesis Statement clearly states your position on the question in the Topic
- The essay has logical organization.
- The way you break up your paragraphs is up to you, as long as it’s logical.
- Allow the content to determine the form, versus the form determining the content.
- No refutation paragraph is required.
- In the body, evidence from the sources listed in the topic supports your claim. You may also draw from your own observations. However, remember to avoid using I or other first-person pronouns.
- Specific details, facts, and/or examples from your own observation/opinion and the readings/videoswill “show” that each topic sentence is true and reasonable. Use textual support in the form of summary, paraphrase and quotation.
- Use in-text citations to introduce ideas from sources.
- Include a separate Works Cited page (a list of sources).
- Refer to MLA In-Text Citationsand MLA Works Cited Page for correct format.
Last Updated on March 23, 2019 by EssayPro