If you have some time, try out the Online Game: 3rd World Farmer
For this term, you will choose a specific state to study throughout the course. You’ll use this state as you work through the various forums and discussion. Think about a state that you find interesting, or one that you would like to learn more about. States that cannot be used are: United States, Syria, Yemen. I want to exclude the United States to give you a broader view of IR, and Syria and Yemen are largely excluded from various indexes that we will use throughout the semester. Once you have chosen your country:
Visit the Global Food Security Index and explore the findings. Next, explore your individual country and consider the following questions:
- What is the overall index score of the country you chose?
- What are the strengths and the weaknesses and how does the country you chose rank against neighboring countries? Does that matter?
- Next, using the readings for the week, describe why food security is an important factor in human security.
- Explain how food in(security) can impact individual human security.
- Finally, consider the country you chose and what you learned about food security, using that information, describe who should be responsible for ensuring food security and why.