Discussion Forum: Mod2-1 Ethical Concerns in the Online World
Spinello, Chapter 1 and view this YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izRRmW5KKLY&feature=player_embedded# (Links to an external site.)
- Watch :
Lichterman, J. (2014). It’s alive! What NPR learned from turning its @nprnews Twitter account from a bot into a human. http://www.niemanlab.org/2014/05/its-alive-what-npr-learned-from-turning-its-nprnews-twitter-account-from-a-bot-into-a-human/ (Links to an external site.)
- Answer question below.
- Research your response to the question
- Your post should be concise and to the point, answer the question, support your argument or opinion with examples, experience and resources as appropriate, and be grammatically correct.
QUESTION: After reading and considering the Lichterman article above, discuss the ethical implications of engaging online with a bot rather than a human. Does this change how one should behave in an online community? Can the continued discussion of viral news content on sites like NPR or Huffington Post still qualify as a community even when the dialogue is primarily between a bot and the readers instead of the human writers and editors and their readers?
- Read Chapter 1 in the Miller ( PDF attached )
- Read Smith and Anderson https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2018/03/01/social-media-use-in-2018/ (Links to an external site.) OR look at this site http://webtrends.about.com/od/socialnetworking/u/list-of-social-networks-guide.htm . for similar content on social networking basics, Facebook and LinkedIn (under business networks).
- Review at least 2 of the videos at this link
http://www.gcflearnfree.org/socialmedia/facebook101. regarding Facebook and 2 from the LinkedIn series at https://www.linkedin.com/learning/search?keywords=social%20media&u=26106634 NOTE: Create an account using your LRU email and you have access to the videos and courses for free. (Links to an external site.)
- Develop criteria on which to evaluate the two social networking sites. What is critical to you when selecting a social networking site? What features are essential to you? You must identify at least 5 criteria.
- Why did you pick those criteria?
- Compare the two sites on those criteria.
- Submit your comparison in a Word document using a three column table with the first column the criteria, and the 2nd and 3rd columns the social networking sites. Make a recommendation on one of those. This is not a description of the social media but an evaluative statement on how it meets the criteria.
- Remember this is not a description of the social media but an evaluation of how it meets the criteria.
Last Updated on June 2, 2020 by Essay Pro