Assist students on understanding the principles of environmental engineering design (e.g. design wastewater treatment facility). Students will learn the treatment procedures for providing safe, dependable products of water to families, market and farming and in protecting the quality of water in rivers, lakes, aquifers and around seaside locations. Involvement of students in the design of environmental engineering system such as wastewater treatment engineering introduce students to the challenging and complexity of design any environmental engineering system.
- Demonstrate an understanding of principles underlying environmental engineering design
- Identify stakeholders and present alternative viewpoints on engineering projects
- Take into consideration the complex, local and global, social political cultural and ecological contexts in performing a technical role or designing an engineering system
- Take into consideration the impact of decisions on the environment and
Environmental engineering Case Study
Consider that you are an environmental engineer who is working for Muscat Municipality. In 2018 you are asked to submit a report related to pollution control of selected industry and household waste (X or Y) in Oman considering public health issues.
Environmental engineering Task: 1
You have to prepare a conceptual design for a wastewater treatment system for the selected Wilayat based on the following aspects:
- Bring out the detail about the types of pollutants produced, treatment units and processes
- The water quality that would result from the system in term of quality, national and international standard, social and cultural acceptance, and ecological
- Data’s about the Controlling sources of pollution, Pollution prevention approaches to reduce, eliminate, or prevent pollution at its source, should be
Examples are to use less toxic raw materials or fuels, use a less-polluting industrial process, and to improve the efficiency of the process such as the use of sustainable manufacturing or working.
Environmental engineering task 2
You have to prepare control strategies for managing air quality from land transportation in any selected Wilayat of Muscat and discuss the ways to achieve reduction in air pollution.
- Controlling emissions related to transportation which can include emission controls on vehicles as well as use of cleaner
- Discuss stakeholder engagement and public participation for emission control and make sure that your design or strategy will be benefited for both the environment and society
Note: You are free to discuss a design or analysis of any industrial project of your own choosing any Wilayat in Oman. Both Task 1 & Task 2 should be compulsorily included in the report. A minimum of three house can be selected as pollution source.
Environmental engineering Report Format
- Number of pages: Maximum 20 pages excluding references list and the appendix (if any).
- Line spacing: Generally use 1.5 x line
- Start with the title page (including your name) or student number as
- It is preferable to place figures within the text rather than group them at the end of the report.
- Give a sequential number to all figures (Fig. 1, Fig. 2, Fig. 3, )
- Add a brief, informative caption to the
- Report Proposal [will be marked out of 100 and scaled down to 10 marks]
Your proposal should include the following:
Environmental engineering Executive Summary/Introduction
Step 1 – Executive Summary/Introduction (approximately 1 paragraph) [30 Marks]
The Introduction is the most important section of the proposal – it will either get your reader’s attention or send them to the next proposal. To be effective, you want to outline the proposal and convince the reader that your proposal should be accepted. Specifically:
- State the problem/need that you are going to
- Provide a short description of the project, including what you propose, who it will
- Strong concluding
Environmental engineering Project Description
Step 2 – Project Description (Maximum one Page) [50 Marks]
This section defines the project objectives, describes the method of solution, and defines staffing and administrative requirements. Include the following sections (each of these sections should have a separate section heading and may have more than one paragraph).
- Objectives – State your objectives as measurable outcomes of the solution. Be specific – make sure your solution is achievable within a specific time frame and
- Method – Describe the specific action items (actions that need to be taken in order to meet the objectives). Answer the following questions: How, When, and
- Management Plan – Present “Time Plan” Only in your project.
Step 3 – Details about the Project (Approximately 1 paragraph) [20 Marks]
Review your proposal briefly. Restate what you want to do and why it’s important.
Environmental engineering Tips:
- Proofread! Check spelling and
- Be clear. Be concise.
- Remember your goals and Managers look for cost-effectiveness. Engineers look at feasibility.
- Report Structure: [will be marked out of 100 and scaled down to 90 marks]
- The Report should contain the following sections: [5 marks]
- Report body
- Abstract (maximum 1page) [10 marks]
The abstract must be brief, but it has to tell the following:
- The main
- Methodology; write about the main sections involved in the
- Core results obtained; preferably not more than 2
- Conclusion; one or two sentences are recommended.
Environmental engineering Introduction
- Introduction (maximum 2 pages) [10 marks]
The introduction is very important as it sets the context for the report. Summarize the brief, briefly outline the case and focus on its significance (problem statement), state the report’s aim (objective), and describe how the report is organized (methodology). It is not usual to detail findings or recommendations in the introduction.
- Case study (report body) [60 marks]
The previous sections (abstract & introduction) are preliminary sections. Case study’s body section is organized as follows:
Headings should be informative and descriptive providing a clue to the contents of the section.
- Describe the context of the case. Present the central issue you will be analyzing, what decisions have already been made, what communication processes are occurring in the situation. Focus on the
- Explain your methodology. Identify problems that are demonstrated in the
- Present summaries of your findings and indicate how you decide for your design, and what is acceptable/not acceptable as a solution with
- Present an action plan for the recommendations. Recommendations in a case study report should be fairly
- Conclusions (maximum 1 page) [10 marks]
Every report should include a concluding statement/s on the subject of the report. Restate the aim of the report and state how you have achieved it. Present the main findings and key recommendations in a summarized. You should also restate the limitations of the report.
- References [5 marks]
This is a list of all the sources of information you have referred to in the report (CU Harvard References Format); minimum 5 references.
Last Updated on February 10, 2019 by EssayPro