Mise en scène is a term meant to encompass the arrangement and use of a variety of design elements in creating the visual theme of a film. Please look through Chapter 5 (Mise en Scene and Actors) for more information on this term.
As you prepare to write this discussion, take a few moments to do the following:
- Read any required and recommended reading materials for this week, especially Chapter 5 (Mise en Scene and Actors).
- Review the grading rubric for this discussion.
- Select a full-length film from the AFI 10 Top 10 list (Links to an external site.).
It can be easier to grasp the importance of the term mise en scène if we break it down into its component elements. This week, we’ll look at the impact of lighting choices on the creation of meaning in a film.
In any film, the intensity and direction of lighting will influence how an image is perceived by the viewer, and it can establish or enforce particular themes. Think back over films you have watched and consider how the use of lighting in key scenes helped establish the theme or tone.
Please view the video Adding Pictures and Video to Discussions and Introductions (Links to an external site.) for guidance on how to integrate multimedia with your response.
Using specific examples from your chosen film, write a post in which you
- Identify the type of lighting used in the film (traditional three-point, high-key, or low-key) and assess the impact of the lighting used to establish the theme.
- What are the benefits of the style of lighting used?
- How did this technique contribute to the theme?
- How was the lighting technique suited to the genre of the film? For example, documentary films tend to rely on natural light as a way of creating an overall tone of authenticity.
- Compare how the scene would play if different choices had been made.
You must use at least two outside sources, in any combination of embedded video clips, still photos, or scholarly sources. All sources should be documented in APA style as outlined by the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
Last Updated on September 5, 2019 by Essay Pro