Discuss the disastrous consequences to the Australian Tourism, Hospitality & Travel Industry caused by the Two Recent Catastrophic Events
Impact Report Type: Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3 & 4
Task Weight: Digital Poster 30%
Forum Discussion 10%
Impact grading of Digital Poster: Refer to the grading criteria below
Submission: Poster – LMS Dropbox
The tourism industry represents about 10.4% of Australia’s gross domestic product (GDP) and 12.2% of total employment in 2018. Unfortunately, the Tourism & Hospitality (T&H) Sector in Australia has been badly affected by the twin catastrophic events: first, it was devastated by the unprecedented magnitude of the bushfires from October 2019 to January 2020. Just as the affected communities were working towards recovery, the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic caused a massive blow to the T&H Sector.
As the twin events in Australia: the bush fires in October 2019 and the coronavirus pandemic has crippled our Tourism, Hospitality and Travel Industry, I’ve decided to make this into a 2-part assessment.
Part 3A: Create an individually designed Digital Poster
Part 3B: Create a Discussion Forum
For both tasks, the topic should address these key areas:
- Explore and discuss the disastrous consequences to the Australian Tourism, Hospitality & Travel Industry caused by these two catastrophic disasters.
- Examine the immediate impacts to all sectors of the industry: hotels, restaurants, airlines, luxury cruises, travel agencies, etc due to the international travel restrictions, media coverage and government measures.
- Discuss some of the plans that Australia must consider in tourism planning and building resilience to disasters in order to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from future disasters.
For both topics, you should consider the Butler’s Destination Life Cycle theory, the 3 pillars of Sustainable Development: Social, Economic and Environmental impacts on the host communities and destinations, the reverse of the multiplier effect when tourism, a key economic driver of most countries have been crippled. You also need to assess the development scenarios of destinations from the sustainability viewpoint and global challenge perspectives.
Approach and Requirement:
Assessment 3A Digital Poster
Definition of a Digital Poster
As defined on google, A “digital poster” consists of either a static or dynamic digital object which focuses on a particular topic. For this assessment task, the topic is ‘Discuss the disastrous Consequences to the Australian Tourism, Hospitality & Travel Industry caused by the Two Recent Catastrophic Events’.
The approach to this task is as follows:
- Research what happens when tourism as a key economic driver for most countries (and Australia) is crippled. Analytical thinking requires critical thinking and when you consider the reverse of the multiplier effect, you will begin to appreciate the disastrous impacts to the unemployment rates and the deepening of the economic crisis. (estimate 2 – 3 hours)
- Read, learn and apply the Butler’s Sequence: The life cycle of a destination. How many destinations can survive and/or how long will it take for things to get back to what it was before? In terms of the 3 pillars of sustainability, examine both the negative and positive outcomes to the society, economy and environment. (estimate 2 – 3 hours)
- Design a Digital Poster with relevant content that illustrates your ability to explain the topic clearly. (estimate 1 – 2 hours)
Assessment Criteria – 3A Digital Poster
The Assessment Task will be graded on the digital poster based on the following criteria:
- Depth of Content: Excellent research with the depth of analysis in all aspects of the origins and background causes of the Australian bush fires and the Covid-19. Excellent analysis of the information with demonstrable application of key concepts and theories. (10 marks)
- Visual design: Excellent poster which is visually appealing, well organized and it conveys the information effectively. Excellent relevance of pictures, charts and graphs which are clear and easy to interpret. (5 marks)
- Organization: The development of the report is clear, logical and organized. The impacts to the Tourism, Hospitality & Travel Industry is analysed from all aspects: the transportation sector, accommodation providers, destinations, host communities. Your conclusions are robust, clearly stated and supported by data. (11 marks)
- Outside sources are incorporated logically, insightful, and elegantly. APA referencing used throughout is consistent and accurate and demonstrated ability to reference a range of both primary and secondary sources both in-text and using a reference list. (4 marks)
Assessment 3B Discussion Forum
An online forum provides the opportunity for students to comment and respond to each other’s writing. It creates a virtual classroom discussion and gives students who are not able to talk in a classroom setting an opportunity to voice their opinion. Some students also prefer to formulate and structure their thoughts in a writing format.
The Task Requirements:
Assessment 3B: Discussion Forum
The task has 2 stages:
- Have a critical analysis of your topic ‘The bushfires in October 2019 and the present Covid-19 pandemic has crippled the Tourism, Hospitality and Travel Industry in Australia’. What can businesses in those sectors do to build resilience against similar catastrophic events in future?
- Discuss the impacts to the workforce and to all the related businesses?
- What lessons have been learned?
- What are some of the key issues that must be addressed in terms of tourism planning and building resilience to disasters?
(estimate 2 – 3 hours)
- When responding to other student’s Discussion Forums, exercise your critical reading skills and ask questions that will provoke a response to your questions.
- Read with an analytical mind and comprehend all the Discussion Forums that had been posted
- Choose the Discussion Forums that seem to have weak or controversial arguments and ask probing questions so that it warrants a response.
(estimate 2 – 3 hours)
- Post your Discussion Forum by Week 9 (Due 14th June Sunday 9:30 AM) and submit your Discussion Forum and all responses on LMS by Week 10 (Due 21st June Sunday 11:55 PM) (estimate 1 hour)
Assessment Criteria – 3B Discussion Forum
- Topic Development: You have developed a topic that is current, relevant and provocative. It clearly indicates the content that will follow. (5 marks)
- Response writing: You have made at least 5 responses to other student’s discussion forums. Your responses showed excellent encouragement for further discussion and it received at least 1 response back for each of your 5 initial responses. (5 marks)
Submit the Digital Poster converted to .ppt format on LMS by Week 9 (Due 14th June Sunday by 23:55 PM).
You should complete the Discussion Forum and post it in the LMS Forum by end of Week 9 (Due 14th June Sunday 09:30 AM) and submit your Discussion Forum and all responses on LMS by Week 10 (Due 21st June Sunday 11:55 PM).
Feedback and grades will be posted on LMS within 2 weeks of the due date
Estimated Student Workload: 10 – 15 hours
See Separate Marking Rubric for the detailed marking allocation
Last Updated on