Clashing Views in Life-span Development
“Everyone has opinions about what matters in lifespan development. Sometimes we blame it all on our parents – the good and the bad – but other times we think genes and evolution make for our destinies. Some of us fear for younger generations confronting so many new risks and challenges, while others long for the freedom and opportunities of contemporary childhood. We often define adult success by the tangible results of career and family life, yet we also idealize abstract qualities such as happiness and well being. Most of us dread aging, even while envying the freedom and wisdom of older adults. These contrasting opinions suggest that the study of lifespan development is inherently controversial”.
This assignment will provide you with an opportunity to examine and develop a perspective on an issue connected to lifespan development.
SELECT A CONTEMPORARY ISSUE – For examples: Sexual Orientation: Is an individual’s sexual orientation determined by genetic code or social/environmental influences?
Use the following framework to organize your analysis:
- Begin with an introductory 1stparagraph containing a topic question, teaser and framework.
- Describe in the 2nd paragraph the issue and identify a researched perspective.Review relevant literature that supports the perspective.
- In the 3rd paragraphmake a connection between a developmental theory discussed in class (or an alternative that you have chosen) and the issue.
- In the 4th paragraphdiscuss a moral implication for various decisions affecting individuals that are impacted by the issue i.e. laws, treatments, social supports.
- In the 5th paragraph proposea current and potential solution to resolve the issue and implications for directions in practice for social service workers.
This assignment must not exceed 2pages, double-spaced, 12 – point font, Times Roman (excluding title page and references).
Assignment #3 Checklist
|Begin with an introductory 1st paragraph containing a topic question, teaser and framework.|
Describe the issue and identify a perspective.(2ndparagraph)
Review relevant literature that supports the perspective.
(Reference #2 and #3)
Make a connection between the developmental theory discussed in class and the issue.
Discuss a moral implication for various decisions affecting individuals impacted by the issue i.e. laws, treatments, social supports. (4th paragraph)
Proposea current and potential solutions to resolve the issue.
Discuss implications for directions in practice for social service workers.
A minimum of 5 referencesincluded.
Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation and Clarity, APA
|Proper title stated as a question.|
Proper framework including introductory paragraph.
(1st paragraph + remainder of essay)
Total 30 Marks