English Literature (Classic and Modern)
• Write a multi-paragraph essay over the topic below.
• Your response should be well-organized and developed, which means you’ll need a thesis as well as direct quotations from the text for support.
• Your response should be original. You are only required to use our textbook. In fact, that is preferable. However, if you use other sources, you must be sure to cite/document correctly with in-text citations and a corresponding Works Cited page.
• Otherwise, if you just use our textbook, then you’re just required to use the authors’ names and page numbers. Then, no Works Cited page is required.
• Your response should be at least 2 double-spaced pages.
• Please upload the document as a Word document or rich-text file document in the assignment dropbox.
In a minimum of 2-3 double-spaced pages, please discuss the following in essay format. 1) Discuss the major concepts/themes of the Literature of Early American time period. As you discuss the concepts/themes, refer to specific writings, such as those of Bradford, Morton, Winthrop, Edwards, Bradstreet, etc; and 2) finally, discuss how different and/or similar the female concerns (preoccupations) were from the male concerns (preoccupations) of that time period as evidenced in the writings.
PLEASE USE ONLY THE QUOTES FROM THE STORIES BELOW!!
The Literature of Early America 1-13
Of Plymouth Plantation
Chapter I 81-82
Chapter 9 87-90
Chapter 10 90-92
From The New England Canaan 104-113
Week 2 – June 17-21
From The Journal of John Winthrop 115-125
The Examination of Mrs. Anne Hutchinson… 29-33
“The Prologue” 154-155
“Before the Birth” 165-166
“In Reference to Her Children” 167-169
“To My Dear and Loving Husband” 166
The Wonders of the Invisible World 200-211
A Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration 235-252
Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God 319-330
Week 3 – June 24-28
The Literature of the Eighteenth Century 331-340
The Autobiography 377-410
The Age of Reason 508-515
The Declaration of Independence 518-521
“On Virtue” 604
“On Being Brought from Africa to America” 605
From The Life of Olaudah Equiano 482-498
Judith Sargent Murray
On the Equality of the Sexes 642-649
Last Updated on