Return the scenario from your discussions, in which you are the captain of your local police municipality. Several weeks ago, the chief assigned you the task of bringing him up to speed regarding terrorism. You began by explaining the history and metamorphosis of terrorists and their tactics. Now, the chief wants to know what impact terrorism has had upon law enforcement, and he wants you to begin at the federal level.
The chief is familiar with the three major areas where federal law enforcement was influenced by terrorism (the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, passing of the Patriot Act, and the reorganization of the FBI). His current request is for a synopsis of the reasons behind each of the three changes, as well as an explanation of what the changes were. He has asked you to format it as a memo addressed to him.
Create an interoffice memo addressed to Chief Glen Edwards that includes the following criteria:
- Identify two changes to federal law enforcement from each of the three entities (the Department of Homeland Security, reorganization of the FBI, and the Patriot Act), for a total of six changes.
- Summarize two positive and two negative measures these changes caused.
- Written communication: Must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Resources and citations: Format according to current APA guidelines.
- Required page count: 4–5 pages, not including the title page or the references page.
- Required number of references: 3–4 scholarly references in APA format.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.