The purpose for this assignment is to allow you the opportunity to apply key concepts from the course. These include application of Porter’s five forces model and completion of a SWOT analysis. The case is based on a major strategic discussion at Perdue Farms about eliminating antibiotics from hatcheries. Start by reading the article titled: Perdue Farms Inc.: Antibiotic Use in Hatcheries by Professor Andrew Hoffman.
Once you have purchased and read the article by Hoffman, read the article titled: Guidelines for applying Porter’s five forces framework: A set of industry analysis templates. This article will provide insights on how to apply Porter’s five forces to the Perdue Farms case. Review your notes about SWOT analysis from readings in your text. Then begin the writing process. Reference all of the above while writing up your case.
Part 1 Background
- What is Perdue Farms’ corporate vision?
- Why would Perdue Farms be interested in Corporate Social Responsibility?
- Who oversees deciding whether to eliminate antibiotic usage – be specific?
- What considerations must be weighed before making a decision about antibiotic usage?
Part 2 Analysis
- What are the organization’s Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats? (Please complete and submit a SWOT analysis with narrative explaining your findings)
- Apply Porter’s Five Forces using Dobb’s article for guidance. Be sure to rate how strong or weak each force is.
Part 3 Recommendations
- List at least three specific recommendations for how Perdue Farms should proceed. Be sure to support your recommendations with evidence from your analysis (SWOT and Five Forces).
- Explain using the case detail to reinforce, whether Perdue Farms has a moral and or societal obligation to eliminate antibiotics from its poultry
Perdue Farms Case
Note: You may have to do additional web research specific to the industry discussed in the case when completing the five forces analysis – be sure to plan accordingly. Please answer these questions in narrative not bullet form. Please use graphics – present a graphic of your SWOT analysis and Five Forces. Weave your answers into a thoughtful paper.
Paper Format: your paper must be typed and edited.
Total Length: 6-8 pages including a cover page, 4-6 pages of content, works cited
Font Size: 12 point font
Line Spacing: Space and a half
Margin: 1” maximum (L an R)
Page Numbers: Bottom of page, center, starting on page 2
- Cover Page Includes: Student Name, Professor’s Name, Class, Assignment, and Due Date
- Introduction (Use Heading) Your introduction provides the reader with the overarching perspective you will share throughout your paper. Tell the reader what your paper is about.
- Background & Analysis (Use Heading) This is where you weave answers to the questions listed above into your paper. Make sure this section progresses logically from one paragraph to the next. An easy way to assure you maintain logical progression is to write up this section of the paper and analyze the content of each paragraph to confirm that the main points in one paragraph link with or properly set up the very next one. A well written paper flows from one paragraph to the next with intention and clarity.
- Recommendations & Conclusion (Use Heading) Review the highlights of the points you made in the body of your quick response. Make a final point or recommendation. This is where you restate your overarching perspective and make clear the link between the content provided in the body of the paper (as evidence) and your final perspective.
- Works Cited Page (Proper MLA format is required)
Note: Spelling, Grammar and Format matter
The assigned readings include: Hoffman, A. (2015). Perdue Farms Inc.: Antibiotic use in hatcheries. HBS No. W94C18. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Publishing.
- Dobbs, M. (2014). Guidelines for applying Porter’s five forces framework: A set of industry analysis templates. Competitiveness Review, 24(1), 32-45.
Last Updated on May 6, 2019 by EssayPro