This assignment will involve research and writing, in your own words.
Pick a famous historical “art music” composer from the following list and do some research on the internet. Use at least FIVE different websites and determine whether you have conflicting information.
Do NOT use Wikipedia as one of your sites, although you may use it as a starting point, especially using the bibliography to find further information. In several paragraphs provide the following. Be sure to cite fully as you go and do not plagiarize. You may use Chicago style or MLA to cite within the essay.
- Paragraph 1. A short biography of the composer, including the dates, musical historical period in which the composer lived and any other interesting biographical data.
- Paragraph 2. Why the person is famous historically? What did he contribute to musical development and music history?
- Paragraph 3. A list of five famous pieces by the composer. Include COMPLETE titles and dates the pieces were composed
- Paragraph 4. A short analysis of one of the pieces from your list using the skills gained in assignments 1 or 2, both from the points of view of a PERCEPTIVE and a REFERENTIAL listener. Discuss unity/variety, dynamics, form, meter, timbre (instruments and/or voices performing), musical concept(s) it illustrates, and anything else you have learned. After your technical analysis (perceptive listener), discuss whether the piece reminds you of anything non-musical (referential listener).
- Paragraph 5. Finally, discuss whether or not you like the piece, including why or why not.
- Bibliography. Include a bibliography with a list of FULLY cited websites and links.
NOTE: It is especially important NOT to plagiarize. Your must write IN YOUR OWN WORDS or paraphrase significantly and cite. Make sure your paper reads like an essay and not as a list of answers to the above questions.
- J.S. Bach
- W.A. Mozart
- Ludwig van Beethoven
- Frederic Chopin
- Antonin Dvorak
- Franz Liszt
- Johannes Brahms
- Giacomo Puccini
- Claude Debussy
- Aaron Copland
- George Gershwin
Last Updated on