Write a 7 paragraph long essay analyzing any one of the topics listed below. You will have to use a variety of sources in order to write this essay (See Paper Requirement for specific course requirements for each topic.) Choose one of the following topics for your essay.
- 1918 Influenza Pandemic and the role played by women
- Intimate Partner Violence during COVID-19
- The Burden of Care on women during COVID-19
- Sexual and Reproductive Health
- Nurses are at the frontline of COVID-19 battle
I have provided some questions for you to consider as you organize your thoughts and your paper. These questions should be used as guiding ideas to frame your essay. Do not just answer the topic questions listed below one by one. You are encouraged to add other issues that you deem important in your essay apart from the questions/issues I have suggested.
- Why do you think we need to study gender in the case of a disease outbreak?
- How are women left out of official chronicles of a pandemic? Why is it only men who occupy center stage? This is despite women undertaking sometimes the most laborious and sustained burden of care work during a pandemic.
- What kinds of work done by women are made invisible during pandemics?
- Is there a need to take a new look at major disease outbreaks (both in history and at the present time) in terms of their gendered dimensions?
- Mini-paper should be a minimum of 7 paragraphs doubled spaced. One paragraph as an introduction and one paragraph as a conclusion.
- The essay should have a titlethat reflects your opinion/view of the women and gender during a pandemic.
- Source Requirements per topic
- Topic 1requires minimally 4 sources, of which one has to be an archival source (3+1). 1 has to be an old image from the 1918 Pandemic and 2 of the rest can be an academic and/or known magazine/journal. I am posting some links to sources which you will find helpful for your archival research
- https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-1918-flu-pandemic-helped-advance-womens-rights-180968311/ (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.) https://slate.com/technology/2019/02/spanish-flu-women-nurses-heroism.html (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.) http://womenatthecenter.nyhistory.org/how-telephone-operators-helped-people-connect-during-the-1918-flu-epidemic/ (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.) https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/influenza-epidemic/ (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.) https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/influenza-epidemic/records-list.html (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.) https://www.influenzaarchive.org/ (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.) https://hyperallergic.com/552295/1918-influenza-pandemic-covid-19/ (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.) Topics 2, 3, 4, & 5 require 3 sources. For most of these topics getting academic sources might be difficult since it is so recent. If you are able to find an academic source, that is fine. If not all 3 can be from prominent magazines/journals.
- Cite your sources using APA formatting.
- Mini-papers should be free of grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors.
Last Updated on April 15, 2020 by Essay Pro