Individual – Essay (25%): Students will be required to research and write a short essay about the destructive role of the church and its residential schools on Indigenous self-identity.
At least 10 sources
Use journals as sources as well.
For an Indigenous studies class through concurrent education.
Required Resources and WHERE to find them:
1. Toulouse, P. (2011). Achieving Aboriginal Student Success – A Guide for K to 8 Classrooms. Winnipeg, MB:
Portage & Main Press. ON-RESERVE AT LIBRARY OR PURCHASE AT AMAZON
2. Toulouse, P. (February 2013). Research Monograph #45 – Fostering Literacy Success for First Nations, Métis and
Inuit Student Success. In What Works? Research Into Practice. Toronto, ON: Ontario Ministry of Education. ON
3. Toulouse, P. (March 2008). Research Monograph #11 – Integrating Aboriginal Teaching and Values into the
Classroom. In What Works? Research Into Practice. Toronto, ON: Ontario Ministry of Education. ON D2L
4. Ministry of Education. (2007). Ontario First Nation, Métis, and Inuit Education Policy Framework. Toronto, ON:
Ontario Ministry of Education. ON D2L
5. Lakehead Public Schools. (2015). Aboriginal Presence in Our Schools – A Guide for Staff. Thunder Bay, ON:
Lakehead Public Schools. ON D2L
6. Rainbow District School Board. (n.d.). First Nation, Métis and Inuit Presence in Rainbow Schools. Sudbury, ON:
Rainbow District School Board. ON D2L
7. Czyzewski, K., (2011) The Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Insights into the Goal of
8. Our Words, Our Ways https://education.alberta.ca/media/3615876/our-words-our-ways.pdf
9. Dion, Susan D.; Johnston, Krista; Rice, Carla, M (2010) Decolonizing Our Schools Aboriginal Education in the
Toronto District School Board.
Last Updated on