Assignment 1: The Application Paper
By the due date assigned, using the textbook and Argosy Online Library, write a 5-7 page paper using APA standards for citation of sources that focuses on the following:
Interview two different individuals regarding their positions in society. Analyze their responses regarding:
- Identify each person’s class, race, and gender.
- What role has class, race, and gender played in their lives? How do you see these stratifiers as playing a role, even if the interviewee is unaware of it?
- Apply one of the sociological perspectives (structural-functional, social-conflict, or symbolic-interaction) to the individuals’ lives. Why did you choose this particular perspective? How does it explain each person’s life and life choices?
- What are some the benefits and limitations to using interview as a research methodology?
- Analyze each person’s components of culture (language, symbols, material objects, and behaviors) and relate them to his/her stratified position in society.
Please post your completed paper to the Submissions Area.
Assignment 1 Grading Criteria
|Described each person’s class, race, and gender.||40|
|Evaluated the role of social stratification.||60|
|Applied a sociological perspective to each subject.||60|
|Explained the benefits and limitations of the research methodology.||20|
|Analyzed the components of culture and related them to social stratification..||56|
|Organization: Introduction, Transitions, Conclusion.||16|
|Style: Tone, Audience, Word Choice.||16|
|Usage and Mechanics: Grammar, Spelling, Sentence Structure.||16|
|APA Elements: Attribution, Paraphrasing, Quotations (when appropriate or assigned).||16|