TEXAS GOVERNMENT – GOVT 2306
This paper meets the requirements of the Core Objective Assessment (it measures the Student Learning Outcomes outlined below)AND meets the requirements of the Quality Enhancement Plan (it is lined up with the AACU Critical Thinking Value Rubric). The paper must be turned in via BlackBoard (for the Core Objective Assessment and QEP Data Collection the data will be pulled randomly from BlackBoard).
This assignment may address the following SLOs (Student Learning Outcomes) for 2305
Upon Completion of this Course, students will be able to –
- Demonstrate knowledge of the federal system.
- Describe the separate of powers and checks and balances in both theory and practice.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of the federal government.
- Evaluate the role of public opinion, interest groups, and political parties in the political system.
- Analyze the election process.
- Describe the rights and responsibilities of United States citizens.
- Analyze issues and policies in United States politics.
Pick a position in the Texas Government and write a paper on that position or pick a topic relevant to Texas Government and research and write and outline and write about that topic.
Possible Topics – You need to Pick One of the following:
1) Battle of the Alamo and the impact of Mexican/Spanish laws over the Republic of Texas
2) Texas during the Civil War and Reconstruction Era
3) Slavery in Texas
4) In-depth Analysis of Affordable Care Act and the Texas lawsuit opposing it.
5) In-depth Analysis of Roe v. Wade or any other Supreme Court case that is important to you.
6) In-depth Analysis of Governor E. J. Davis rule during Reconstruction Era
7) How does Texas rate in comparison with other states in the country?
8) In-depth Analysis of the Texas Constitution and how it compares to other state constitutions or the US Constitution.
9) Explain how the primary and general election processes work in Texas.
10) Overview of Governor Greg Abbott’s tenure.
11) In-depth Analysis on any Supreme Court case that originated in Texas .
12) Analyze the Texas Supreme Court and determine if it is as powerful as the other branches of government.
13) In-depth analysis of the Tea Party Movement.
14) Why the state of Texas needs Immigration Reform?
15) Overview of US Senators from Texas.
16) Texas and the Prison System.
17) Poverty in Texas and analysis of the Social welfare programs in Texas.
18) Why minorities don’t vote in Texas?
19) Analysis of the practice of gerrymandering or redistricting including federal cases coming out of Texas.
20) Voter ID laws from Texas and the federal cases against them.
21) Environmental concerns in Texas – water quality, air quality, carbon dioxide emissions and pollutants, etc.
22) Overview of Texas, it’s budget and it’s diverse economy.
23) The Texas and it’s education system.
24) The role of NAFTA and its impact on the Texas economy.
25) The impact of Hurricane Harvey on state economy.
26) DACA and the its impact on Texas economy.
27) The Bathroom Bill
28) Rick Perry and his tenure as Governor of Texas
29) Republican domination in Texas
30) Abortion Clinics and Planned Parenthood: protests, funding and services
In your Paper you should:
- Describe the role, explain what does this person does and the sources of this person’s power (i.e. Constitution or another law or bill), who does this person share power with, who does this person report to / who provides a “check and balance” on this position?
- Explain how the role is filled (i.e. appointed or elected and the process)
- Who is the current person in this position and provide background information about this person and major goals / initiatives this individual has in this position.
- Is this person affiliated with a political party? What role does that play in this position (i.e. with election or appointment, with how this person carries out their duties, with decisions the person makes, with accountability)?
- What are the major issues confronting the person in this position currently?
- What is your opinion of this person and why?
- Based on your research, what are the major impacts in history of this position and explain.
Length and Style
- Your paper should be in APA format and double spaced.
- Your paper should include a cover page, five (5) written pages at least.
- You must use at least 4 credible sources.
- All 4 sources must be either secondary or primary sources and are credible sources from either library books or library databases.
- Wikipedia and Google are NOT sources.
- You must use at least one (1) chart, graph or other form of visual medium that you interpret / explain / comment on in your paper.
- Please use the librarians they are eager to help you with your research. Include citations for ALL sources you use. A separate works cited page MUST be included, along with short form citations within the paper. As a general rule you should have at least one citation for every paragraph except the introduction and conclusion.
- BlackBoard: Your paper must be turned in via BlackBoard so it is maintained for college assessment purposes.
Please review the attached Rubric on your own and refer to it when writing your paper to make sure you follow directions and receive the maximum points possible.
Last Updated on February 11, 2019 by EssayPro