Rogerian Argument, English Composition II
Value: 200 points
In the Problem-Solving Analysis, the assignment focused on identifying a problem, objectively
summarizing and analyzing two sides of this problem while also creating ethical solutions to
lessen or alleviate this problem. With this writing assignment, you will continue practicing
Rogerian Argument skills by: defining a problem, objectively addressing both sides, expressing
shared values, and proposing solutions.
Follow a Writing Process:
• Before writing the essay, make use of invention technique to begin identifying the issue
in two texts.
• Planning includes identifying positions, establishing main ideas (or topic sentences) for
each paragraph, supporting each paragraph with appropriate evidence, and creating ideas
for the introductory and concluding paragraphs.
• Draft and revise the essay as needed or as directed by professor.
Method of Organization: Rogerian Argument
Introduction: Introduce the issue/problem to your audience, briefly summarize both
sides, and create a claim situated in addressing common ground or seeking a solution.
Beginning with a quote or stat is attention grabbing.
Section 1: Define the problem
Section 2: Objectively address one side of the argument providing two-three reasons for
why they think the way they do (2 sources)
Section 3: Objectively address the other side of the argument providing two-three reasons
for why they think the way they do (2 sources)
Section 4: Areas of common ground or shared values (you can be persuasive and
subjective in this portion)
Section 5: Proposed Solutions (you can be persuasive and subjective in this portion)
Conclusion: Summarize all main points and restate your claim. Ending with a question or
a quote is always persuasive and engaging.
• MLA Format
• 4-5 pages (double spaced)
• In-text citations in the body of your essay
• Works Cited page
• A minimum of four sources
• You must meet rough draft deadlines to gain all points devoted to the assignment
Rogerian Argument Order Now!