Through our readings and discussion this week, we learned that it is best practice to use multicultural literature in the classroom. However, along with the benefits, there are also downfalls of teaching with multicultural books. In this assignment, you will find quality multicultural books and discuss the benefits and possible pitfalls of their use in the classroom.
To prepare for this assignment,
- Review the Multicultural Literature in Diverse Classrooms Template that you will use to complete this assignment.
- Read Examining Multicultural Picture Books for the Early Childhood Classroom: Possibilities and Pitfalls.
- Read Why Should We Teach Multicultural Literature? (Links to an external site.)
- Watch Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie at TEDGlobal 2009: The Danger of a Single Story (Links to an external site.).
- Research and choose four quality multicultural children’s books for a classroom library: two books appropriate for students ages 3 to 5 and two appropriate for students ages 6 to 8. The books cannot be any of those listed in the Week 1 discussion forum Evaluating Children’s Multicultural Literature. You can find books through Storyline Online (Links to an external site.), YouTube (Links to an external site.), or search engines.
- Review the optional Annotated Bibliography (Links to an external site.)
In this paper, include the following two parts:
- Part 1: Annotated bibliography
- Create an annotated bibliography for your four chosen multicultural children’s books. Each entry should include APA format, a 100- to 150-word summary, and a discussion of how the book will promote cultural diversity.
- Part 2: Summary of learning
- Compose a brief introduction that will allow your reader to follow the organization of your paper and the focus of your discussion. (One to two paragraphs)
- Explain the benefits of using multicultural literature in the classroom.
- Describe possible drawbacks of using multicultural literature in the classroom.
- Summarize the importance of using multicultural literature in a culturally diverse classroom.
- Write a conclusion to your paper, briefly summarizing the ideas you discussed. (One to two paragraphs)
The Multicultural Literature in Diverse Classrooms paper
- Must be at least two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.)
Last Updated on March 10, 2020 by Essay Pro