Families and Health
This assignment aims to increase the student’s awareness of the important relationships between health, well-being and social environments such as families. Students will choose ONE of the suggested topic headings and prepare a short paper discussing the connections between the identified social determinant of health and family-related issue.
Students will draw from a number of resources, including peer reviewed journals, textbooks, newspaper articles, class discussion, and lecture notes to complete the assignment.
Choose ONE of the following:
- Early childhood experiences and poverty
- Social exclusion and family experiences of recent immigrants to Canada
- Issues of addiction (substance abuse/smoking) and its affect on family relationships
- Social support and chronic illness in the family
- Work, stress, family life and care-giving
Format and Instructions
Part A: Introduction
- State the purpose of the paper and outline what will be discussed
- Define your chosen social determinant of health and explain its relevance to overall health and well-being. If necessary, include any variations in your health definition
- Make the connection between your social determinant of health and the family-related issue
Part B: Literature Review
- Begin reading on your selected topic: Choose FIVE peer reviewed journal articles and/or book chapters that relate specifically to your social determinant of health and family issue (See “FNF100.Family.Studies.Resource.List.doc” to get started.)
- Gather other needed information from newspapers, magazines, class discussions and lecture notes
- Synthesize the main issues presented in this body of work in your paper
- Don’t just describe the main points, provide some critical perspective
Part C: Reflections/Conclusion
- Explain the importance of this family-related issue for health practitioners
- Where do we go from here? What is needed in order to further raise awareness of this health concern?
- Assignment must be 5 pages in length and completed independently
- Assignment must be typed, double-spaced and paginated
- 12 font and 1 inch margins are expected. Subheadings are acceptable.
- All submissions must include a title page: citing student name; date of submission; and course name and number
- Referencing: APA (6th edition) academic format
Last Updated on February 11, 2019 by Essay Pro