1.Define environmental sustainability.
2. Give a solid reference to show where you found that definition of sustainability. Be sure to use APA format for the reference.
3. Marcie says that she thinks recycling is stupid.
a. List and explain two different reasons that Marcie is RIGHT (for example, what might she
be doing instead that is even better for sustainability?)
b. List and explain two different reasons that Marcie is WRONG (for example, why is
recycling crucial for sustainability?)
4. China has really reduced the amount of recycling that it will accept from the United States in the past few months.
a. Find a magazine or newspaper article on‐line that supports the above statement.
b. Write two to four sentences summarizing what your article says about the
c. Include a reference (APA format) to the article that you found.
d. List and explain two actions that United States civil engineers may have to
undertake in the next 10 years in response to your answer to 4b above.
5. Bob heats his house with a wood burning stove. Jamil heats his house with oil. Both release carbon dioxide to the atmosphere, but one heating fuel has less NET impact on climate change.
a. Explain what the greenhouse effect is.
b. Explain what climate change is. In your explanation, be sure to describe how
climate is different from weather, and how climate change is different from the greenhouse effect.
c. Explain why, in 2019, we have to be concerned about carbon dioxide emissions.
d. State which heating fuel has the lower net impact on climate change, and explain (clearly & thoroughly) why. Include a reference.
e. What aspect of civil engineering are YOU most interested in (i.e. transportation, structural, construction management, environmental, geotech, etc.).
f. List and explain two ways that civil engineers in your chosen branch (5d, above) can reduce carbon dioxide emissions from the public.
g. List a different branch of civil engineering (i.e. from 5e, but different from what you answered for 5e). List and explain two ways that civil engineers in that branch can reduce carbon dioxide emissions from the public.
6. Name a local species of wetland bird. Include a picture of the bird. Describe its call. Describe the time of year when you would be most likely to see the bird. Include a reference in APA format.
- Wastewater treatment and water treatment plants both produce sludge. But the sludge from one of those plants is more useful as soil additive or fertilizer. Which one and explain why? Include a reference.
8.The Pacific Institute estimates that the [annual] production of [water] bottles for American
consumption requires the equivalent of more than 17 million barrels of oil, that the bottling
process produces more than 2.5 million tons of carbon dioxide, and that it takes 3 liters of water
to produce 1 liter of bottled water.” (EcoWatch, 2017)
a. How can plastic bottle/cup use at Johns university be REDUCED (not increasing recycling)? List and explain two ways.
b.How can civil engineers promote the REDUCTION of plastic use in the United States?