Final Assignment Instructions
Depending on your interest, select 1 question from either the elementary choices or middle and secondary choices. You will write a 4–6-page response to the question (title and reference pages are not part of the page requirement; they are in addition). Research will be involved.
- Assume you are teaching a grade that expects mastery of facts (grade 2 for addition and subtraction or grade 4 for multiplication and division). How will you design fact mastery across the semester or year? Include timing, strategy development, involvement of families, and so forth.
- We have heard the expression that practice makes perfect. Discuss the role of rote practice of skills in the mathematics classroom. Is there a place for the traditional worksheet in a classroom that emphasizes inquiry and an inductive approach to teaching?
- “Flipping” the classroom by having students complete the teacher instruction by video for homework and completing the traditional homework practice problems during class is a new trend. Discuss some of the advantages and disadvantages of a “flipped” math classroom.
Middle School and Secondary School Choices
- Select a classroom manipulative from the following list: algebra tiles, base ten blocks, color tiles, Cuisenaire rods, fraction pieces, geoboards, miras, pattern blocks, and tangrams. Research the proper use of the selected manipulative and find examples of lessons and activities that make effective use of the tool. Provide a detailed explanation of 3activities.
- View the movie Stand and Deliver (Menendez & Musca, 1988), which is based on the true story of Jamie Escalante, an individual who overcame ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic issues to become a highly successful mathematics teacher. Discuss the beliefs he held and the strategies he employed in his classroom that contributed to high achievement levels in his students.Relate this information to research on the subject.
- In an attempt to address a variety of levels of student abilities, some schools have adopted elaborate tracking systems. A secondary or middle school sometimes offers the same class at “basic,” “average,” “accelerated,” and “honors” levels, placing students where they will be most appropriately served. Research the topic of tracking in education and discuss the benefits and the disadvantages of using this strategy to meet student needs.
Here are the particulars for this paper:
- You will need to use at least 5 scholarly resources.Your textbook does not count. If you have questions about your sources, contact your instructor.
- The paper must be 4–6 pages, typed, double-spaced, and have 1-inch margins.
- At the top of the first page, copy, paste, and bold the entire question selected. Do not place this in the header.
- You must follow current APA format. Use theConcise Rules of APA Style as your style guide.
- Your paper must include a title page and a reference page (these pages do not count toward the page count).
- You will be graded on the basis of clarity, content, style, and how well you incorporate your resources and support your conclusions. Spelling, grammar, and overall neatness will also be taken into account for your final grade.
- Keep a copy of your paper in the event something happens to the one you submit.
Getting Custom Writing Service with any of your academic assignments is easy. Simply click here.