Guidelines for Critical Analysis Nursing Paper
Nursing conceptual Model or Theory
Select a nursing conceptual model or theory (NEUMAN SYSTEMS MODEL) to critique and analyze and write a paper. The paper should include:
- Identify the purpose of the selected conceptual model or theory.
- Describe the conceptual model or theory, including major concepts, major assumptions, and definitions of metaparadigm concepts.
- Illustrate the conceptual model/theory using a schematic model or diagram.
- Evaluate the congruence of the conceptual model/theory with current nursing standards, interventions, or therapeutics.
- Discuss evidence of empirical testing/research support/validity of the conceptual model /theory.
- Describe the contributions of the conceptual model/theory to the nursing discipline.
- Apply the conceptual model/theory to a current nursing practice problem.
- Analyze the usefulness of the conceptual model/theory in providing direction for future nursing practice.
Critical Analysis Nursing Paper Read
Fawcett, J., &DeSanto-Madeya, S. (2013). Contemporary nursing knowledge: Analysis and evaluation of nursing models and theories (3rd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis.
McEwen, M. (2014). Theory analysis and evaluation. In M. McEwen & E. M. Wills (Eds.), Theoretical basis for nursing (4th ed.; pp. 95-113). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Other Suggested Readings:
Barnum, B. S. (1998). Criteria for evaluating theories. In Nursing theory: Analysis, application, evaluation (5th ed., pp. 171-184). Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Chinn, P. L., & Kramer, M. K. (2015). Description and critical reflection of empiric theory. In Knowledge development in nursing: Theory and process (9th ed., pp. 186-209). St. Louis: Mosby.
Meleis, A. I. (2007). A model for evaluation of theories: Description, analysis, critique, testing, and support. In A. F. Meleis (Ed.), Theoretical nursing: Development & progress (4th ed., pp. 238-273). Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Critical Analysis Nursing Paper Method:
- Select a nursing conceptual model or theory aligned with your personal philosophy of nursing.
- Review the literature for scholarly articles, textbooks, research, and at least two Internet sources on the selected conceptual model or theory. Be sure to read and include citations from the original works of the theorist.
- Integrate data sources (i.e., professional and lay literature, art, interaction with colleagues and/or other professionals) to clarify terms, identify concepts, describe propositional relationships, and recognize the “centrality” of purpose for selected conceptual model/theory.
- Please be aware that one should read about the theorist’s original work done by the theorist herself/himself. You always want to get the viewpoint of the theorist FIRST and then read later editions of the theorists own work. There is a section in the paper in which any changes to the theory over time are discussed. That is, what major modifications has the theorist made to their theory since its inception? For example, many of your theorists have written several editions of their books and made changes in their theory. After you read the theorist’s original work and any updates/modifications, you can read secondary sources to see what others say about the theorist’s work.
Use the guideline provided below and on page 15 to write your paper on the selected conceptual model or theory.
- For selected conceptual model or theory – Examine:
- Introduction – provide a brief introductory paragraph indicating the focus of the paper.
- A description of the conceptual model/theory using your own words, to include the phenomenon of concern or problems addressed in the conceptual model/theory. Include citations as needed.
- Identification of the purpose of the conceptual model/theory. Clearly identify the purpose of the conceptual model/theory (describe, explain, predict, or prescribe) and support why it is classified in this manner.
- Scope or level of the conceptual model/theory. Discuss classification of the theory as a philosophy, conceptual model, or grand theory. If there is differing viewpoints regarding the theory’s classification, be sure to all viewpoints and explain why the theory may be classified differently.
- Major assumptions of the conceptual model or theory. Discuss the model/theory’s major assumptions.
- Definitions for metaparadigmconcepts used in the conceptual model/theory. Are all four major metaparadigm concepts defined? How are the four metaparadigm concepts defined?
- Logical organization of the conceptual model/theory. Is the theory understandable, organized, and easy to follow? Does the theorist explain the theory in a straightforward manner? Does the theorist clearly lay out the theoretical concepts, propositions, and assumptions?
- A schematic diagram or model that includes all major concepts. Find a schematic model from a publication. Be sure to give the schematic model proper credit using APA format. Be sure to briefly discuss the major concepts and their interrelationship. In other words, do not just put in the schematic diagram without any discussion.
- Congruence of the conceptual model/theory with current nursing standards, interventions, or therapeutics. Discuss congruence with ANA’s Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice and ANA’s Guide to the Code of Ethics for Nurses: Interpretation and Application. May also discuss other nursing practice standards, if appropriate.
- Evidence of empirical testing/research support/validity of the conceptual model /theory. Has the conceptual model/theory been used to guide research? How many research articles can be located using this conceptual model/theory? Does the research support the conceptual model/theory? Does the conceptual model/theory appear to be accurate/valid?
- Contributions to the nursing discipline: Locate evidence/sources to document/support the significance of the conceptual model/theory for practicing nurses (bedside nurses, clinical nurse specialists, etc.), nurse educators, nurse researchers, or nurse administrators. How has this conceptual model/theory changed nursing practice, education, administration, or research? How has the conceptual model/theory been used to guide nursing curriculum, to improve outcomes by developing evidence-based nursing interventions, or to guide nursing administration or management in healthcare organizations?
- Transcultural or cross-cultural relevance of the conceptual model/theory. Is the conceptual model/theory useful/relevant across cultures? Explain. Provide supportive references.
- Conceptual model/theory applied to current practice problem in nursing includes clear identification of a current practice problem and how conceptual model or theory relates to the resolution of the practice problem. Think about your current practice. Discuss how the conceptual model/theory can be applied to a current nursing practice issue. Do not copy a practice problem from a book or article.
- Evaluates future usefulness of the conceptual model/theory. Reflect on the usefulness of the conceptual model/theory for providing direction for nursing practice in the Consider health care trends. Include citations as needed.
- Summary/Conclusion – includes a summary paragraph to conclude the paper.
- Scholarly Writing Style, Grammar, APA Format: includes clear sentence structure, clarity of thought, organization of content, appropriate use of APA format for source documentation, references, headings, etc. Use primary sources if at all possible. Please review APA documentation of paraphrased material. Direct quotes should be kept to a minimum, but if used, please review APA documentation of direct quotes. Please be sure to proofread your paper for typographical errors. Suggest keeping the APA manual at your side while writing and revising your work.
THEORETICAL BASIS FOR NURSING
- Paper Length: not to exceed 13 pages. Length does not include title page or references page.
Last Updated on July 17, 2020 by EssayPro