Instructions – Paper Summary
Length: 500 words
A paper summary requires you to conduct independent research to find a seminal research paper (either a book chapter or a peer-reviewed article) in a chosen topic area listed below. You will then be required to write a 500-word summary and review of the paper.
- Select one of the five following areas that you are interested in researching for your paper summary and research essay later in the session:
- Police history
- Police training and culture
- Policing strategies
- Use of force
- Police Corruption and accountability
- Select a book or article which reviews this topic
- Read the article/book chapter in detail and highlight those sections where the author is making their main points. Look carefully at the introduction, the opening sentences of each paragraph and the points made in the conclusion. Note each different point that is made and the evidence/ arguments that the author uses to support their claims. These notes will provide you with a summary outline.
- Provide a citation of the work at the top of the page. Please make sure that you cite the work correctly. In this unit the required formatting for citations is SAGE Harvard.
- Restate in your own words the main points that the author is making, as well as the arguments/ evidence that they have used to support their claims. Go into an appropriate level of detail and use your summary outline as a guide.
- Once you have completed a detailed summary of the article, it is time to express your opinion about the validity of the work. Critically reflect on the piece to determine the following:
- What are its strengths and limitations?
- Does the author make a convincing argument(s) or not?
- Are they showing bias? If so, how is this expressed?
- Are there any significant omissions or things that could be improved?
Getting Custom Writing Service with any of your academic assignments is easy. Simply click here.
Originally posted 2017-08-17 04:19:05.